Friday, July 20, 2007

Cat update

Thankfully our cat isn't showing any signs of sickness this morning although we will keep an eye on her for a few days.I have just finished setting up a new cat proof garbage can with a secure lid so her days of rummaging are over.

5 comments:

mikel said...

Wax paper won't hurt a cat. You'd be amazed at what cats eat. Essentially all day they spend wandering around the house with their nose to the floor eating all kinds of things that would turn your stomach. Animals are a mystery to most people, in fact animals often eat feces just to replenish their stomach microbes-its a disgusting world.

Our cats have eaten paper, aluminum foil, just about anything that has fallen on the floor, bugs, lint, plastic bags, even fertilizer (organic thankfully)the list goes on and on.

And two of them are ten years old and in great shape (according to the vet).

So don't worry, wax paper is nothing.

J@ckp1ne said...

Thanks, that made me feel a bit better,I was feeling pretty guilty that I let her get something like that.

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel, pets can be like that. The one time I did call the vet was when Luna got into our garage and started eating the fertilizer. There was an 800 number for poison control but essentially they said just to keep watching her but there was essentially nothing they could do anyway since cats don't respond well to having their stomachs pumped. We didn't know how much she had eaten, we didn't think it was much, but it is pretty much just corn gluten anyway so had no effect whatsoever.

When you leave antifreeze and poisons laying around (and you never know, they might try to get into that ant poison, those things have tasty bits in order to get animals to eat them in the first place) then you can feel guilty. Meat wrappers are nothing.

I know of people's cats who have eaten marbles, and even saw a cat eat an entire bag of food in one sitting. She lay on her side and you could literally feel the food in her tummy. But god or evolution knew what they were doing, animals are tough. It's the poisons and cleaners you have to worry about because they are designed to kill. A good reason to switch to environmental products.

By the way, if you have animals, make especially sure you don't use fertilizers and chemicals on your lawn. They kill more animals than humane societies.

J@ckp1ne said...

We never use any chemicals on our lawn and it's full of weeds but they don't bother me that much,I just mow it when they get to high. Lots of things people regard as weeds are really wild flowers anyway.I also only use vinegar and baking soda for cleaning.The ant killer which I have since given up on was on the outside of a window ledge so don't think they can get at it.I know it contained borax which I didn't even realize was a poison but maybe it only harms ants? I remember people using it for laundry at one time.

Anonymous said...

Anything is poison..if ya eat enough of it:) Here's the toxicity from wikipedia:

Boric acid, sodium borate, and sodium perborate are estimated to have a fatal dose from 0.1 to 0.5g/kg.[5] These substances are toxic to all cells, and have a slow excretion rate through the kidneys. Kidney toxicity is the greatest, with liver fatty degeneration, cerebral edema, and gastroenteritis. Boric acid solutions used as an eye wash or on abraded skin are known to be especially toxic to infants, especially after repeated use due to its slow elimination rate.



However, while its banned as a food additive in the US, it is still in food in other places. Like most detergents, I probably wouldn't eat it...but probably neither would cats, and maybe ants:)

'Straight' vinegar (not the store stuff) is quite toxic as well, but then of course so is 'straight' water.